Patterns · Quilts · Tutorials


I’ve had such a busy week! We met with family and friends, babysat, went to the movies, made a budget, and ran so many errands. And to top it all off, yesterday was me and Mitch’s two year anniversary. It was so great! Mitch had a special surprise date night planned. We were going to go to Lake Grapevine and have dinner and s’mores over a campfire. However, all of the lakes and campgrounds were completely flooded due to all the rain Texas has been having. So we ended up just going to our apartment pool. We had some of those Sterno fire-in-a-can things and heated everything up with those. We drank champagne, talked a lot, splashed water on one another, and had a marshmallow spitting contest. It was so childish but totally romantic, and I couldn’t have asked for a better date night.

Well I thought I would start this blog off right by showing you guys what I’ve been working on! Right now I am in the middle of two quilt projects. The first one is a pink and mint triangle quilt. I’ve already pieced it together and just need to quilt it. I’ll post a picture of it when it’s all done – probably another week or so. But the one I am going to show you guys today is something I just started piecing together. I’m making an orange peel quilt. Sometimes they are called petal quilts or football quilts, but whatever they are called I think they are so pretty, and PERFECT for a little girl.


Just look at all those pretty petals! So girly and elegant. I absolutely adore this fabric line.


This fabric collection is called A Beautiful Thing by Riley Blake.

a beautiful thing fabric 1WP_20150519_11_07_36_Pro

To cut these petals (or orange peels) out, I used a template and a rotary cutter. Mitch and I like to not spend money when we can, so I just made a template out of an old fabric cutting mat that I couldn’t use anymore. I just printed out the shape I wanted, traced it around the cutting mat, cut that shape out, and viola! The perfect petal template. Then I cut the petals out of the fabric using the template. I was using a layer cake, and I was able to get 2 petals per 7″ square. However, that wasn’t enough petals, so I just threw in some other coordinating fabric that I had. I ended up with a total of 49 petals.

Next, I needed to turn in the edges so I could applique them to the squares to make a block. This was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. I used a piece of card stock to cut out another template that was 3/8″ smaller than the other template. Then I laid the fabric wrong side up, and placed the card stock template in the center. Next, I took my iron and pressed the edges inward, using the template to act as a guide. This was the result:


Then it was time to applique. I placed the petal diagonally onto a 5 1/2″ square. I set in in the center and pinned it in place using 3 pins. Starting at one corner, I used a blanket stitch all the way around the petal, sewing it in place and removing the pins as I went. There are a lot of other methods to doing this – most of them are way easier. But I really like the handmade look this method gives you.


You can barely see the stitches!


Here is another one that is completely done.


Lastly, I needed to sew the blocks together. Using a 1/4″ seam, I placed two blocks right sides facing each other, and sewed along the edge. This is as far as I have gotten, but next will be to repeat this process until I have multiple rows, and then to sew all my rows together. Then of course quilting it. I can’t wait until it’s all finished! It should probably take me another month or so.

WP_20150519_11_17_45_Pro WP_20150519_11_18_11_Pro


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s