So as I told you guys last week, I got baptized last Sunday! It was amazing, and the best part was, my husband was able to be the baptizer! It meant so much to me that the church let him do that since he was the one that brought me to Christ. All of my friends and family were there, too.
I had quite another busy week again. What can I say – Summers are always busy for me. I was able to squeeze in a little quilting time, however. I finished appliqueing the petals on my orange peel quilt, and was able to piece the whole thing together. Now all I have to do it quilt it. Confession time: I don’t really like the quilting process. I LOVE piecing and cutting and making patterns, etc. But when it comes to actually quilting the quilt, I tend to procrastinate and put it off. I’m not sure why this is – I think it may be because I just started quilting and I still don’t know what I’m doing. But with every quilt I’m learning new things and methods, so hopefully I’ll warm up to quilting in the near future. I am thinking about making this quilt my first free motion quilt! Up until now all I have done is straight line quilting. I bought a darning foot and know how it works. I think I’ll just make a couple mini practice quilts/mug rugs and see how it goes.
I also started a new quilt. I have a terrible habit of starting multiple quilt projects at one time. I can’t help it! I just get all kinds of new ideas! But hey, you can’t hamper the creative process. Anyway this new quilt I’m working on is actually a really old quilt. It’s my mom’s quilt, that her grandmother (my great grandmother, who is also named Christina and for some reason I think that is really really cool) made. That makes this quilt easily 100 years old. She asked me to repair it last Christmas because it had holes and tears in it, and I just stored it away under our bed and completely forgot about it. I was doing some Spring cleaning a few days ago and found it… looking very sad. I guess I didn’t pay attention to how damaged this quilt was when I first got it. It was really bad. Really really bad. The holes were easily as big as my fist, fraying along most of the seams, and the binding was literally hanging on by a thread. I called my mom and told her that this quilt was damaged beyond repair, but, if she wanted, I could dissemble the entire thing and make a new quilt out of it. She agreed and I got to work.
I didn’t get a good before picture because I was too excited to get started. This picture actually isn’t too bad, but trust me, it was terrible. I started disassembling and cutting the fabric into 2.5″ x 4.5″ stripes. I wasn’t sure what pattern or block I was going to do, and I figured that would be a usable size for any block. It took me about 6 hours to disassemble and cut up the entire thing.
The quilt had a variety of colors in it, and there was no “theme.” It was actually made from my great grandmother’s old dresses – because they didn’t waste anything back then! I started looking up color pallets and combos, and felt really inspired by Farmhouse and Hello Darling by Moda, mainly because they both have a variety of colors in them and were fairly similar to the colors of the fabrics I had to work with.
I also really liked Chez Moi’s Mimi collection by Moda. I think I will use one of these fabrics for the back of the quilt. The colors are almost exact, except the teal in these pictures is more like a mint, but it’s the closest fabric I have found to match.
Anyway, I was looking for quiltsperation (Pinterest = my best friend) and came across this AMAZING quilt block tutorial. Since I had small strips of fabric to work with, I was looking for something very specific. I was leaning towards a plus quilt since I had always wanted to make one, but I didn’t want to do something that simple. Well, I found the perfect block called Raspberry Kiss by Wooden Spoon Quilts. It’s an “X” pattern, and I just LOVE the way it looks with a low volume background.
When I saw this post, I instantly had a vision of soft creams and blacks for the background which would coordinate perfectly with the vintage florals and textures of the scrap fabric. I already had lots of low volume fabrics I could use, too! It was like it was meant to be! I cut the strips of fabric I had into the right sizes for the blocks and cut a few extra fabrics from my stash to blend everything together. This is what I came up with:
I am so happy with how the colors blended. Even the scraps are beautiful! I totally but them in a mason jar and displayed them on a shelf above my sewing table!
I only had time to do three blocks, but they are the most amazing three blocks I think I have ever made! I’ve always wanted to do a low volume quilt, but didn’t think I could pull it off. But this block makes it soooo perfect.
The colors are a mint, magenta, pale pink, coral, orange, salmon, forest green, lime green, and yellow. I wouldn’t have thought in a million years that these colors would go together, but for some reason they do. This whole experience was definitely a lesson in fabric coordination and colors. I would love a chance to take an online class on it. But for now, more pictures!
Man, I can’t wait to see what the finished result looks like. I will definitely keep you guys posted! Hopefully this doesn’t distract me too much as I still need to finish my petal quilt. Oh, and I almost forgot, I will take pictures of the triangle quilt tomorrow. Promise!